Thursday 22 January 2015

Mythological Creature: Birdtroll


 This project was to create a mythological creature. For inspiration I started with a quick sketch as I decided to do a kind of snow troll. I drew half of it and flipped it, then by accident I noticed new shapes at different stages of intersecting the two images and made a few varying concepts with these new shapes.


For example, this image is the same as the top one just the two halves are crossing over at different points. This seemed to create a kind of banshee/troll face with huge eyebrows. I love creating creatures from the game 'scribble' so this actually came in handy.


I altered the design by adding in a proper body. For some reason the 'Chupacabra' came to mind so I kept this in mind when thinking about textures. 


 This is how the model looked in 3DS max


This is before I subdivided the model in Zbrush to export and gain an understanding of normal maps...


This is the high poly model (seperate from the wings) with a lovely material on it I just thought looked cool. Making this beast slightly odd in the texture became attractive at this point.



I decided to paint the creature in Zbrush inspired by Mexican Pinata.
The Normals maps didn't work so well because of the over altered shape in comparrison to the final design. However I didnt have much knowlege of Zbrush in relation to Max at this point.


Zbrush wing. The normals taken from this showed up a hell of a lot more than the main creature because of the fine bumpy texture.


Final model in 3DS Max. I learnt a lot from my mistakes in this project but even today I have much to learn about the practical applications of Zbrush tools. However this did ignite a love for the Zbrush software...

No comments:

Post a Comment