Wednesday 21 January 2015

Character Design


'The Adventures of 'Buck Lao'

This is a game about a boy from a city in the clouds and was great fun playing with the idea and designing levels. I drew him on flash for ease of animation and easy vector drawing. I drew him wearing blue clothes as a prophecy to him returning to the sky and golden hair to represent the sun and the gold his city was made from.



Here are two levels I designed with a Blue/Purple theme to differentiate the atmosphere from other levels and give them an identity. these two levels would be played in the order they appear and would be in the 'Descent' section...

This was a game I did an absolute ton of work for, but as it turns out my game engineer didn't start putting the game together until the day before it had to be handed in, so yeah...it didn't work and didn't even have 1 level. Kind of put me off working in a team altogether, or at least relying on anyone but myself.


These are some thumbnails for my low poly character model, all pretty varied. From feedback I concluded that the top left was most well received. I love drawing with white on a black background, I find it so easy to build shapes with highlights.



Here is a turnaround of the same character, however I had to get rid of the spikes on his boots after feedback from my lecturer about practicality, although I still think they wouldn't really be a hindrance...
I also needed to adjust the sizes of certain areas like the head.


Here is the my first final 3D character in 3DS Max. I rigged this character and took a few renders in different positions. Nowadays I would obviously do a better job with textures particularly in the armour with specular maps and materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment