Wednesday 21 January 2015

Environment Design


'Chippy Lane' in Cardiff, this took me a full day!
I'm not 100% sure but I much prefer realising character in artwork rather than just replicating structures. However it did get me thinking about how I can add character to a building in my designs and the theory behind it, like how I would make a building seem intimidating or quaint.


Here are a few thumbnails to get some Ideas on paper (or photoshop?)
I thought it would be interesting to create a world where the sun had become a red giant, but Earth had the technology to survive with the use of a global forcefield and towers mounting ‘Graviton cannons’ all over the Earths’ crust which enabled space travel free of orbit. 
This would mean the earth would be a very different place relying on renewable oxygen supply facilities and colonies. From research into this idea it soon became obvious to have a theme based on spheres because of planetary travel.




I decided to create an interior 'Graviton command centre'. However this was a bit over ambitious with my technical limitations. The place was absolutely huge aswell!


I thought up the idea based on the machine from 'Event Horizon', one of my favorite films. It fired graviton particles and created a black hole in which the spaceship could pass through to succeed in faster than light travel through space.


I got a book detailing the artwork behind the film 'Dark Crystal' and it had an observatory which inspired me to create some sort of engine room/command centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment